These burgers have been tested and approved by my DD. The original recipe is from Chatelaine. The original name of this recipe is "Amazing Veggie Burgers".
- 19 ounces black beans
- 1⁄3 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce or 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or 1 tablespoon soya sauce or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons HP steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs (must be store bought to work) or 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb, ground in processor until very fine (must be store bought to work)
- 1⁄2 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 crusty bread rolls
- Drain and rinse beans with cold water.
- Drain again and pat dry with paper towels.
- Add beans, onions, garlic, egg, 2 tbsp barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oil, salt and pepper to food processor.
- Pulse until beans are the size of peas.
- Place pulsed mixture into a large bowl.
- Add flour and stir until evenly mixed.
- Add bread crumbs and mix well.
- Add cheese and mix with your hands (mixture is thick).
- Divide mixture into six portions.
- Flour your hands and shape into 1/2-inch thick burgers (if you don't flour your hands the mixture will stick to them).
- The burgers may be refrigerated in a sealed container for 1 day or frozen until ready to grill.
- Oil your grill and preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place burgers on grill.
- Brush with remaining barbecue sauce.
- Barbecue with lid down until hot, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns with desired toppings i.e. pickles, onions, tomatoes, salsa.
- For vegetarian make sure you use either a vegetarian Worcestershire sauce or the soy sauce.