Here's a quick and easy recipe that is vegetarian, using basic ingredients that you'll have sitting around in the kitchen. Not only will you save time, but this recipe is healthy and can be made vegan too! From the Urban Cooking Guide
- Put margarine in a pot and saute the onions and garlic over med-high heat.
- Reduce heat back to medium after onions and garlic have become golden brown.
- Make a roux by gradually adding the flour, while continuously stirring to avoid lumps.
- Still stirring, add soy sauce and water to the mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the gravy has reached desired thickness, turn off the stove and you are done!
This recipe turned out really well. I used veggie broth instead of water, and reduced the soy sauce to 1 T. because my broth was salted. The gravy was still a little on the salty side, but tasty. I also added some dried sage, thyme and parsley.
Good gravy!! Really, good, easy gravy!! I used 1 clove of garlic and one tablespoon of soy sauce. I know I'll be making this again and again. Thanks so much for posting the keeper recipe.
Wonderful gravy. Used olive oil instead of margarine. Only real problem is the recipe said it would make two cups -I wasn't looking too closely and didn't realize until I already started that one cup of water isn't going to make two cups of gravy and I ended up with much less than I was counting on. Oh well -guess I'll have to double it next time. This is a nice recipe though because it uses ingredients I keep around.