Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful way to make delicious, tender, vegan collard greens. The smoked sweet paprika in these greens imparts a wonderful smoky flavor without the traditional but decidedly non-kosher and non-vegetarian smoked ham hock. Make sure the paprika you buy is smoked, as the regular kind won't give you that smoky flavor. Whatever you do, don't discard the pot liquor! It is full of the nutrients and flavor that have leached out of the greens during cooking, and makes a very full-bodied and rich broth you can use as a replacement for water when making rice (my favorite), as the base for soups or stews, or in any other savory dish that requires broth or water.
- 2 lbs collard greens
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- hot sauce (optional) or red pepper flakes (optional)
- Wash greens well, submerging in a sink full of cold water to remove any dirt and grit. Drain well. Cut off the stems right where the leaf starts. Stack about 5-8 leaves on top of eachother, then roll lengthwise. Cut rolled up leaves into 1" slices widthwise. Repeat until all the greens are done, and add to a large pot.
- Add all other ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes or until greens are extremely tender. Serve hot, using a slotted spoon to drain the liquid from the greens.
Thank You for giving me a great head start. I have wanted to learn how to make Veggie Collards or Kale since I married a Vegan 6 years ago. With a few modifications these were perfect.I omitted the onion, added olive oil, sugar in the raw and I used powered garlic. Perfect!
I'm not kidding - I joined this site just to rate this recipe! I bought a I I joined this site JUST to rate this recipe - no kidding!! I used a 2-lb bag of collard greens, and just used a bit more of everything that the recipe said to. Also, I didn't use paprika because I didn't know that I was out of it, but I used a spicy creole spice mix in its place. They were PERFECT!! I'm vegan, but even non-vegans would probably love this if they like greens. Thanks for submitting this!!!
DELICIOUS! I make this recipe at least twice a month, usually every week, and my husband - and 14 month old baby - LOVE it! Me too! Its easy, delicious, and healthy!