Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
More nutritious and less fatty than cheese chilaquiles, I created this when cooking for groups of 30 people, and now make it for my son and me. I found that when I went to the trouble of rolling up enchiladas, people would wreck them when serving themselves, or only want half of one. This casserole is easier to prepare and serve!
- Stack 6 tortillas and slice into 1/2 inch strips, then cut into thirds or quarters in opposite direction.
- Warm slightly less than 1/2 the can of enchilada sauce in a large glass bowl in microwave (or on stove, in pan or skillet).
- Add tortilla strips and let sit for a couple of minutes. Warm sauce gently or tortillas strips will disintegrate.
- Spread in bottom of 9x9" baking pan.
- Defrost vegetarian crumbles and heat with beans.
- Spread over layer of tortilla strips.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the bean mix.
- Cut up remaining tortillas and repeat warming process with remaining sauce. Layer over beans, and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in oven until cheese is melted (about 20 minutes at 350, or 8 minutes in microwave).
- Serve with sour cream. Goes well with rice.
Thanks for this recipe! It was so easy to make and my whole family loved it. We will be having this often! : )