Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
DH and I are trying to get healthy and lose some weight, but of course it's gotta be tasty! He is hooked on brown rice.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 bell pepper, sliced (any colour of your choice)
- 1 cup green beans or 1 cup flat beans, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, freshly grated
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or any herb of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon butter (or ghee)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon almonds, flaked and toasted (optional)
- Cook rice according to instructions and set aside.
- In a pan heat butter and fry ginger, chilli and cumin for a minute, then add beans. If using fresh peas, also add now.
- Cook till beans and peas are tender but firm. You may need to add a few tablespoons of water. If using frozen peas, rinse under hot water and add now along with sliced peppers.
- Cook for few minutes till peppers are heated through.
- Mix in rice and add salt, pepper and herbs to taste.
- Sprinkle almonds.
- Serve hot with thick lentil dal on the side.
I also loved brown rice but here brown basmati rice isn't available so I used the plain one. I used red pepper and it gave a nice colour to the rice. A wordeful combination of fresh vegetables and fibers. Thanks for sharing Sudika. Made it for PAC Spring 2008.