Recipe by eneal1081
Quick, hearty soup with a bit of a kick. Can be made Vegan by omitting sour cream. Tame the spice down by substituting diced tomatoes for the Ro-Tel. I serve the soup with corn chips, but tri-colored tortilla strips add some visual appeal. I like to leave the black beans whole, but you can make it creamy by mashing the beans.
Top Tweak by rshigematsu
Wow, surprisingly good. I'm not a huge fan of black beans, but that's all I had on hand. I added chicken stock and used greek yoghurt in place of sour cream. Overall, excellent!
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) canro-tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee onion in vegetable oil until onions turn translucent. Add vegetable broth, Ro-Tel, black beans, corn, garlic salt, chili powder, and cumin. Heat to near boiling. Serve in soup bowl and garnish with 1 tbs. of sour cream and sprinkle of fresh cilantro.