Prep 8 mins
Cook 7 mins
Quick, hearty soup with a bit of a kick. Can be made Vegan by omitting sour cream. Tame the spice down by substituting diced tomatoes for the Ro-Tel. I serve the soup with corn chips, but tri-colored tortilla strips add some visual appeal. I like to leave the black beans whole, but you can make it creamy by mashing the beans.
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) canro-tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sautee onion in vegetable oil until onions turn translucent. Add vegetable broth, Ro-Tel, black beans, corn, garlic salt, chili powder, and cumin. Heat to near boiling. Serve in soup bowl and garnish with 1 tbs. of sour cream and sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
Very tasty, healthy and easy to put together. I made no changes to the recipe. I love that this uses items that I most always have in the house. The leftovers taste even better. Thanx!
Excellent soup. I doubled the recipe because I like to have left overs. I only added one can of Rotel and it was still quite spicy which I love. Thanks.
Too, too easy. Perfect for a mom on the go and I don't have to stock a gourmet kitchen. I'm always looking for good vegetarian dishes that can satisfy the non-vegetarians in my family. Thank you for an excellent soup.