1/1 Photo of Easy Vegetable Soup / Crock Pot (Or Not!)
1 hr 40 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
You can easily make this soup on the stovetop, or in a crockpot. Adjsut the vegetables to your liking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chopped well-rinsed leeks, white and light green parts only (discard dark green tops)
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, stripped from stem
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 quarts vegetable stock (I used one of each) or 2 quarts beef stock (I used one of each)
- 1 quart spaghetti sauce
- 2 1/2 cups diced turnips
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups sliced fresh green beans
- salt or salt substitute
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 lb fully cooked meatballs (optional) or 1 lb chopped cooked beef (optional) or 1 lb other cooked meat (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Cooks Note: Rinse the leek well in a basin of water to remove any possible grit.
- 2Crock Pot Cooking Directions: Add all ingredients (except macaroni and Parmesan cheese) to crock pot and stir. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. At end of cooking time, add macaroni to crock pot and cook on high until noodles are tender, or just add hot cooked noodles at the end of cooking (along with Parmesan cheese).
- 3Saute leek and celery in olive oil in a soup pot or dutch oven until soft, 10 minutes or so.
- 4Add the garlic and seasonings and stir until very fragrant.
- 5Stir in the stock and spaghetti sauce and heat to a boil.
- 6Add turnips, carrots and green beans, reducing the heat to a simmer. Season the stock with salt, pepper and hot sauce (to your liking) at this time. Cook covered for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- 7Stir in the frozen corn, frozen peas, and red bell pepper. If you want to add frozen meatballs or chopped cook beef, etc., do it now. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. If you do add meat, you may want to add some more water or stock so the soup doesn't get too thick.
- 8Stir in the uncooked macaroni and cook until tender, 7-12 minutes, depending on what kind of macaroni it is (use package directions for cooking time).
- 9Adjust your seasonings one last time. Add water if you want the soup more brothy.
- 10Serve with a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese on top, if desired.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Vegetable Soup / Crock Pot (Or Not!)
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.1
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.7 mg
- Sodium 461.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: