Recipe by spatchcock
A quick and easy vegetarian meal. Mild enough for those people who are sensitive to curries and hot spicy foods. Adapted from "1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes".
Top Review by nora22000
I was asked to bring a dish to an event that was meatless, salt free, sugar free, pepper free, gluten free, non dairy and without nuts. I saw this recipe and substituted brown rice ground up in my coffee grinder for the flour, and I added lemongrass leaves to steep with the curry. It turned out fantastic! The salt and pepper were not at all missed, the dish tasted complete without it.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup potato, peeled,cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste,if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic 3-4 minutes over medium heat in saucepan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Add cauliflower, potato, carrots, broth and spices.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Mix flour and water.
- Stir into boiling vegetable mixture.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Stir in tomato juice, parsley, and lemon juice.
- Simmer 2-3 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Serve over rice.
- If you wish to have more protein, you could add some cooked (or canned) chickpeas, or for the carnivores some cubed chicken breast.