Recipe by Lindsay!
With most of the food in the house being saved for christmas eve/day, I was hard-pressed to find anything to eat. I decided to make soup out of canned goods i had in the house. Couldn't find a recipei liked, so i made up my own. It was really good and my parents couldn't eat enough of it. The tomato puree adds a thick body to the soup which makes it hearty and thick. I made this about a week ago and I may not have remembered all the ingredients or steps. If i left anything out I'll be sure to add it. However, this soup is really versatile so don't be afraid to make it your own! Any leftover vegetables would be a welcome participant. Enjoy!
Top Review by Merlot
We absolutely loved this soup....and I particularly loved the fact that it is made with ingredients that I usually have on hand. I did not add any salt because, for us, there is plenty in the canned goods. I made the soup up earlier in the day and then just reheated it when hubby came home. (I added a bit of water to it when I reheated it). Served it with garlic bread. Thanks for the lovely meal, Lindsay!
- 2 tablespoons desired cooking oil (I used vegetable)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 4 (8 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) canseasoned chili beans, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 3 -4 cups chicken broth (depends how thick you want it, you can always add more later. veggie stock can be substitued for a v)
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cilantro leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oil in the bottom of the soup pot. Add onion, garlic and carrot until the onion becomes clear.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans, corn, cumin, cilantro, and chili powder if using, and bring to a boil (not a rapid boil because the soup is pretty thick).
- Add tomato puree and heat again until hot and steamy.
- salt and pepper to taste. i personally didn't use salt because canned veggies are pretty salty on their own, but for people who like a lot of salt, i would add some.
- The longer you leave the soup cooking on low, the better the flavors meld together. However it can be served immediately if you're in a rush.
- Serve with crackers, because this soup is perfect for them! Also good with a little cheese sprinkled on top (whatever kind you enjoy).