Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This easy pie crust is delicious. It makes two 9" crusts. I use it for all my pies.
Make and share this Easy Vegan Spelt Pie Crust recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups spelt flour (not sprouted)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk (other non-dairy milk can be used)
- 1⁄2 cup light oil
- In a food processor add the 3 cups of spelt flour and salt. Process for a minute to incorporate the flour and salt.
- Combine the non-dairy milk and light oil in a cup and mix well. I use a whisk to do this. Then feed the milk-oil mixture through the feeding tube in the food processor and into the flour mixture. The dough should be in large crumbles. At this point, stop the machine and feel the dough. It shouldn't be sticky or dry, but a little oily and hold together well. Try not to handle the dough too much as it tends to toughen the dough.
- Once you have the right consistency remove the dough crumbles onto a prepared surface to roll out your dough. I use a large plastic sheet, but waxed paper can also be used. I try to avoid using a floured surface as it will make the dough dry. I have found that with this dough that it isn't necessary.
- Shape the dough into a disc and cut it in half. Reshape the first piece of dough into a disc and roll it out. I wrap the dough around my rolling pin then place it onto the pie pan and unroll. Once I have the dough in place I position it carefully but do not stretch it, it will shrink. I prick the sides and bottom of the bottom crust.
- Fill the pie with the desired ingredients and roll out the second disc of dough and put it on top.
- Flute the edges with a fork and then trim the pie crust edges. Brush the pie with some of the non-dairy milk and then make slits in the top crust to let out the steam.
- Bake according to the type of pie you are making.
I used this crust for my first pie ever and Im so happy because it worked out very well. =) The only thing I had to change was to use a little bit more oil in the batter, but other than that I followed the directions as stated. Although I made a cherry pie I didnt sweeten the crust at all and it was perfect like that. I definitely want to try this with hearty filling as well since its so versatile. Thank you so much for sharin, Chef Joey Z.! Made and reviewed for Zaar Cookbook Tag 2009.
Really easy recipe. Used this as the pastry for my Vegetarian Sausage rolls. I rolled the pastry between 2 sheets of waxed baking paper until thin, then cut into 2. Spread filling down the centre, rolled up to make 2 long sausage rolls which I baked then cut into serving portions. Very good recipe thank you.
I used this recipe for a veggie pot pie, and it was PERFECT!!! I don't have a food processor, but that didn't really matter. It was rolled pretty thick, and once the pie was done, the crust was delicious, hearty, and didn't fall apart at all. Thanks for my first successful easy vegan crust recipe!