Recipe by Arwen Myers
I just threw this together one afternoon with things that I had lying around the house, and it turned out quite delicious! In case you've never encountered it, Braggs liquid aminos is a savory liquid made from soybeans that adds an interesting (very tasty) flavor. If you can't find Braggs, try using regular soy sauce or tamari instead. The brands of the ingredients really don't matter much, but I've parenthesized the brands I used for clarity.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (instant or homemade)
- 1 cup hamburger-style soy crumbles (Morningstar Farms Burger Style Veggie Recipe Crumbles)
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can peas
- 1 (6 ounce) can white shoepeg corn
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth (Pacific's Organic Vegetable Broth)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (Smart Balance Light)
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly sautee veggie ground round in olive oil. Once heated, add the vegetable broth, peas, and corn and cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Add 2 T nutritional yeast, Braggs, and remaining spices.
- Pour vegetable mixture into ovenproof casserole dish (any size will work, but preferably smaller and deeper rather than larger and shallower). Layer mashed potatoes on top of vegetable mixture.
- Melt 2 T vegan margarine. Add 2 T nutritional yeast and mix well. Pour this mixture over the mashed potatoes.
- Cook pie uncovered for about 35 minutes.