Recipe by michellehauser
Fast, easy, fairly-healthy cake recipe. This is great for cutting and wrapping individual servings and storing in the refrigerator for 2 weeks! Note: this is much better with chocolate shavings than chips because the fat from the chocolate is able to melt into and give richness to this otherwise low-fat cake.
- 1 (18 ounce) boxduncan heinz spice cake mix
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- 6 ounces bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped into shaving-sized pieces (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 13x9-inch metal cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Add all ingredients to mixing bowl and beat at low speed until combined; beat at medium speed for 2 more minutes.
- Fold chocolate into mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the cake pan and bake 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean ("clean" in this recipe means no cake batter; some gooey chocolate on the toothpick is fine).
- Set on a rack and allow to cool completely in the pan. Cut into 24 pieces. If pieces are individually wrapped in plastic and then kept in a Ziplock bag or other airtight container, these will last 2 weeks. The can also be frozen in this form and used for desserts in brown bag lunches.