Recipe by theunintentionalvegan
This super simple vegan chili is so much like the real thing that no one will ever have to know it's vegan! That's what makes this recipe perfect for work parties and potlucks where you have a mix of omnis, vegetarians, and vegans. Also, this recipe only takes about 10 minutes of actual prep time!
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, granules (textured vegetable protein)
- 7⁄8 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the ketchup to the boiling water in a measuring cup or small bowl and whisk until well incorporated. Add the water and ketchup mixture to the TVP in a small bowl. Mix and let it sit for about 10 minutes to absorb the water.
- Warm up your crock pot or a large soup pot and add the TVP. Let the TVP warm for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and chili beans (do not drain). Stir well.
- Add in the hot sauce and all of the spices, stir well, and bring the chili to a boil. Turn the heat down and let simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the spices to your taste.