Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
The healthiest and most promising baked beans of all as if it is, Low in Calories , Very Low in Saturated Fat, Very Low in Sodium, Very Low in Sugar, Very High in Calcium, Dietary Fiber, Iron, Manganese, Magnesium, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, High in Phosphorus, Very High in Potassium, High in Riboflavin, Very High in Vitamin A, High in Vitamin B6, Very High in Vitamin C and Suitable for Vegans
- 1 cup dry pinto beans
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 500 ml tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons low calorie sweetener
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Presoak beans in water overnight.
- Place beans and 4 cups of water in a large pot, and bring to a boil. 30 minutes with no cover stirring occasionally, until beans are tender. Drain, and transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Mix onions and garlic into casserole dish with the beans. Stir in the tomato sauce. Mix in sweetener, bay leaves, pepper, and cinnamon. Add 1 cup water
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Cover and bake 30 minutes Remove cover. Transfer in a container
- Let it cool then refrigerate unused beans.
These turned out really good! I made exactly as posted except I added some vegetarian bacon bits before baking the beans. It's got a sweet flavor with a little kick to it which surprised me. Next time I might use a little less cinnamon for preference but otherwise wouldn't change it. Thanks!