Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was on the menu at a cooking class demo at our local supermarket - its very good!
- 6 -8 large cooking apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 frozen pie shell, slightly thawed or
- 1⁄2 packaged puff pastry, thawed
- ice cream, whipped cream or cheese (optional)
- Peel, core& quarter apples; toss with lemon juice& 2 tbsp of the sugar.
- Let stand& toss again so that sugar is completely dissolved.
- In a 10 inch ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar evenly over butter.
- Stir just until sugar is dissolved& remove from heat.
- Place as many apple wedges as you can into the pan.
- They will actually stand on end but thats OK since they will shrink as the tarte cooks.
- Place the pan back over medium heat and cook the apples for 20- 25 minutes or until syrup has formed a thickened caramel.
- Cool slightly.
- Gently roll out pie shell (or puff pastry) to fit slightly larger than the pan.
- Place over the pan, trim edges& bake in preheated 400F oven for 20- 25 minutes or until pastry is crisp.
- Turn out onto a large platter& serve.
This recipe is clearly explained and works very well. My family all loved this
Very good receipe and cooking details, especially about tossing with lemon juice and sugar.