Recipe by Converting to vegan
My husband's family is Ukrainian/Polish and every Christmas we had the pleasure of eating cabbage rolls which I love. I created this simple recipe which mimics the original pretty good. It's simple, has few ingredients and tastes great. I actually like these better than the complicated recipes with lots of ingredients.
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove outer wilted cabbage leafs.
- Place cabbage in a microwaveable bowl with a tiny amount of water and cover with plastic wrap. Make a small hole to let steam out.
- Place in microwave and cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Take the cabbage out and turn it over in the bowl, re-cover and cook on high for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Use 2 tablespoons of margarine to "grease" a casserole dish (a lasagna pan is about the right size). Place aside.
- Once the cabbage has cooled carefully remove each leaf one by one and lay aside ready to be stuffed.
- Rinse the rice under cold water and boil it until tender (hint: for some reason I can never make perfect rice so I boil it in more water than necessary, then drain and rinse it once it's cooked. This way I get rid of all the extra starch and the rice texture is great, not gluey which I hate).
- Once the rice is prepared set it aside also.
- In a separate skillet add half the the margarine and melt at low heat.
- Add all the chopped onions and sautée at low heat until they turn very light brown.
- In a bowl, mix the rice, the onion mix, salt and pepper.
- Now, one at a time, place a small amount of rice mixture into each cabbage leaf (Note: the volume of mixture will change depending on the size of the cabbage leaf). Starting at the bottom of the cabbage leaf, start rolling it by completing one full roll, fold the sides in, then complete rolling.
- Place each cabbage roll in the greased dish and cover with tin foil.
- Cook at 375° for at least 50 minutes or until the cabbage rolls start lightly browning.
- Serve with a veggie burger, or veggie meatloaf and some veggie gravy. Yum!