1/1 Photo of Easy Turkey Sausage, Broccoli, and Pasta
This is based on a recipe that uses pork sausage, I tried to lighten it up without reducing flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb turkey sausage, mild Italian
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 15 ounces cannellini beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces low-fat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup romano cheese, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta, mezi
- 8 -10 broccoli spears, each about 3-inch long
- 1In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook it, stirring, for about 1 minute or until it is golden brown. Take care not to let the garlic burn.
- 2Add the onions and cook the mixture for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onions are golden brown.
- 3Add the turkey sausage (sqeezing out of the casings), basil, and parsley. Break up the sausage, using a wooden spoon or long-handled fork, and cook the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sausage is browned.
- 4Add the beans, chicken stock, and butter, raise the heat to high, and bring the sauce to aboil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer it briskly for 5 to 8 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- 5Meanwhile, in a large pot filled with boiling salted water, cook the pasta for 4 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook it for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- 6Stir in 1/4 cup of the grated cheese and cook the sauce for about 3 minutes or until it thickens. Season it to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Let the mixture simmer 2 minutes before removing it from the heat.
- 8Drain the pasta well. Bring the sauce to a boil. Add the pasta and broccoli to the sauce and mix well.
- 9Serve the pasta with grated cheese passed on the side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Turkey Sausage, Broccoli, and Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.9
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 167.2 mg
- Sodium 789.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 27.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat chicken broth