Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a great recipe I came up with using just stuff we had on hand. You can eat it straight out of a bowl with cheese, onions and sour cream. Or you can top turkey hot dogs to make filling chili dogs. My husband loved it left over on hamburger buns - a la' sloppy joes! Keeps well, and freezes too.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onions or 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chiles in adobo or 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered chipotle pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, of your choice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce or 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (12 ounce) bottlefavorite light beer or 1 cup dry red wine
- Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven (3 qts or larger) over medium/high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until onion begin to become translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and throroughly brown.
- Add the chili powder, basil, chipolte and cajun seasoning.
- Mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients bring to a rolling boil reduce to medium heat and let simmer for one hour to one and a half hours.
In place of the bay leaf, chili powder, chipotle chile in adobo, dried basil & cajun seasoning, I used 1 packet of Lawry's chili seasoning. I also added 1 diced green bell pepper and 1/2 a jalapeno, diced. Turned out fantastic!!!