This recipe makes the most beautifully browned, juiciest and flavorful turkey. And it's super easy to boot. It's inspired from the California Culinary Academy. Important!! This recipe only works well if you stuff the turkey. I didn't think that it would make a big difference, but when I baked a turkey and didn't stuff it a while back, It was way overcooked....not good. But this is great for a big stuffed bird. If I were serving this for a special occasion though, I would definately use a programmable thermometer... I got mine for around $15 at Meijers and I use it a LOT! So well worth the small investment. Insert the thermometor into the thickest part og the thigh and bring the temp to 165 to 170 degrees.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1At least one night or up to two nights before cooking, season turkey inside and out with salt, garlic powder and poultry seasoning.
- 2Place in a plastic bag and refrigerate until day of cooking. This ensures that the bird is seasoned all the way through, like brining does, only better.
- 3On Turkey day, stuff turkey with your favorite stuffing recipe. Tie legs together and fold wings back behind themselves.
- 4Pat turkey dry, and rub olive oil all over bird. Sprinkle skin with Montreal Grill seasoning.
- 5Open up a large paper bag so the opening is facing you, and rub the inside bottom of the bag with a generous coating of butter.
- 6Turn bag over so butter is on top, and place bag in a pan on a rack.
- 7Cut a piece of aluminum foil to line the bottom of the bag. Crinkle it ip then spread it flat and spray with cooking spray to keep bird from sticking.
- 8Place turkey into the bag, fold opening of bag closed and staple shut.
- 9Place turkey into a COLD oven. (DO NOT PREHEAT!).
- 10Turn the heat to 500 degrees. and roast for exactly one hour.
- 11Tuen heat down to 400 Degrees, toast one hour longer.
- 12Turn heat down to 300 degrees and roast one additional hour.
- 13Remove turkey from oven. Total cooking time is 3 hours regardless of the size of the turkey.
- 14The bag will look and smell charred, but the butter keeps the bag from burning and the bird will be perfect.
- 15Tear away paper bag in pieces and let turkey rest for at least 20 minutes before carving. But the longer rest, the better.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Turkey in a Paper Bag
Serving Size: 1 (524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1837.2
- Calories from Fat 957
- Total Fat 106.3 g
- Saturated Fat 37.5 g
- Cholesterol 738.2 mg
- Sodium 7885.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 204.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Montreal chicken seasoning