Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My Mom used to make tuna casserole the old fashioned way with white sauce, until my Aunt gave her this recipe..Moms been making it this way ever since! This recipe is lots easier than the traditional, and even more tasty.
- 1 (8 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna fish, drained and flaked
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
- While the noodles are cooking, saute the onion and bell pepper in margarine until soft.
- Remove pan with onions and peppers from the burner and add the soups and tuna.
- Cook until on low heat, stirring often, until the soups are heated through.
- Add the noodles to the soup mixture and blend well.
- Salt and pepper to taste (i use cayenne pepper, and no salt).
- **Thisis also good with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.
Husband made this and it was pretty good. He did use macaroni noodles, added peas, carrots and celery and made a cracker crumb top. It was good but I felt it needed more cheese flavor so next time he will add some shredded cheddar too. Thanks!
Quick to make. Good taste. Next time I may thin the sauce down slightly and use elbow macaroni in place of the egg noodles. My sauce was a bit thick and heavy for the soft egg noodles.