I wanted to make a simple, quick Tres Leches cake for my family. Too many recipes I'd found called for fruit, or meringue, or coconut -- which detracts from the rich milk flavor.
- Preheat over to 350º.
- Grease or "pam" 9x12 baking pan.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add water and cake mix and beat 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until cake has lost its jiggly center and springs back when touched.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Mix the 3 milks.
- Poke cake full of holes. A chopstick works great for this. Don't skimp on the holes; that's what allows the cake to absorb the milks.
- Pour the milk mixture over the cake slowly, until it's absorbed the liquid.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve as desired. If you're serving company, you might cover the cake with whipped cream and fruit; you might just drizzle heavy cream over each serving; you might puree a carton of frozen strawberries and use that as a base to serve slices on.