Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I wanted to make a simple, quick Tres Leches cake for my family. Too many recipes I'd found called for fruit, or meringue, or coconut -- which detracts from the rich milk flavor.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
Three milk soaking liquid
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- whipped cream
- Preheat over to 350º.
- Grease or "pam" 9x12 baking pan.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add water and cake mix and beat 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until cake has lost its jiggly center and springs back when touched.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Mix the 3 milks.
- Poke cake full of holes. A chopstick works great for this. Don't skimp on the holes; that's what allows the cake to absorb the milks.
- Pour the milk mixture over the cake slowly, until it's absorbed the liquid.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve as desired. If you're serving company, you might cover the cake with whipped cream and fruit; you might just drizzle heavy cream over each serving; you might puree a carton of frozen strawberries and use that as a base to serve slices on.
I recently had mexican night at the house, this cake went over so big, I've had 3 recipe requests.
So easy and so good. It was my husband's birthday and I was tired of making "a cake" so I tried this recipe just to change it up a bit. I use a confetti cake since it was a birthday. I was a bit hesitant to leave out the oil when I mixed the cake, but it was necessary so the cake would soak up the milks. Thanks a lot! I will definitely be making this cake again!
I've used this recipe many times before with very good results. The extra eggs add volume to the mix and there is just the right amount of milk mixture to have it all soaked up at the end. Delicious. I especially like using the Betty Crocker Butter Recipe Yellow cake mix with this.