Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy as it gets. Great with grilled cheese sandwiches, on a winter day. Double or triple the recipe, for more sevings.
- 2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans tomato soup (Campbell's preferred)
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 -5 drops lemon juice (fresh is best) or 3 -5 drops lime juice (fresh is best) or 3 -5 drops orange juice, if you have a bit handy (fresh is best)
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pan, and cover.
- Place on simmer (no hotter) for 30 minutes.
- Give the basil and garlic time.
- Stir occasionally.
I think the amounts stated, i.e. soup to milk, is way off in this recipe. I used the 10 3/4 oz cans of tomato soup, since the recipe stated it made 2 servings, but 3 1/2 cups of milk is way too much. It would have been more like a milk soup. I added two more cans of tomato soup, using the same amount of spices, and it turned out great. It had just the right amount of spices and both my daughter and I enjoyed it with grilled cheese sandwiches. With the adjustments made to this recipe, I would have given it a 5 star, but not as written.