Recipe by hokiegal
Based on a TV cooking show-I forget which one. A great way to use all the tomatoes that attack from your garden at the end of the summer.
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
What a great recipe, I can't believe this has never been reviewed~I followed this exactly, using my crock-pot to cook the tomatoes down and the taste was really sensational. I used every ingredient listed, adding a bit of sugar & salt at the end. The skins had pretty much just gone away, and melted into the sauce, although I did remove any big skin that was left. I used a combination of cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, and Celebrity tomato. I chunked this all up, and added garlic and fresh italian seasoning, basil, oregano, rosemary, and parsley. This all cooked down into one wonderful aroma, and I was able to freeze after cooling and delightful summer will be there any time of year. Thank you Hokiegal!
- 2 cups tomatoes (any type-big,plum,grape,etc.-amount depending on how your garden grows)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- brown sugar, to taste
- tomato paste, to thicken (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Core and chop tomatoes into chunks (If using cherry tomatoes-halve, romas-halve) and toss into pot on the stove as you go.
- Add garlic and seasoning.
- Simmer 1-2 hours, occasionally pressing tomatoes against side of pan with wooden spoon.
- Add brown sugar to taste.
- Add tomato paste (if using) to thicken.
- Can be made in a crockpot-cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on amount.
- Cool and freeze for summer taste in winter.