Recipe by Mille®
This chutney is a superb accompaniment to almost any kind of roast meat. And it will add some serious zing to an Italian or cold cut submarine!
- 2 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped scallions
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, bring vinegars, sugar, salt, black pepper, chili flakes and mustard seeds to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, bell peppers and scallion greens.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 1½ hours, or until reduced to about three cups and thickened.
- Stir occasionally, increasing frequency of stirring in the last hour.