Recipe by Mini Ravindran
It is indeed the easiest and nothing to beat homemade stuff :-)
Top Review by Anu
You've hit upon the perfect combination of ingredients to make this the best tomato chutney I've tasted! I had it with toasted bread, and it also goes really well with idlis and dosas. One thing to remember: Remove the bay leaf before blending; stray bay leaves can really mess up a recipe!
- 10 big fully ripe red juicy tomatoes
- 2 big onions, chopped
- 5 dried garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Take a non stick heavy bottom pan and heat the oil.
- Put bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon first and then add onion, garlic, salt and black pepper powder.
- Saute for 2 minutes and add chopped tomatoes, salt and sugar.
- Keep covered and stirring for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
- Allow to cool to the room temperature.
- Add nutmeg now.
- Put the mixture in the blender and blend till smooth (Remove bay leaves before blending).
- Fill in a sterilised jar and keep refrigerated.