Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a good lazy afternoon lunch or dinner. Easy, and it tastes great.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large firm tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup additional parmesan cheese
- crumbled bacon (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine crumbs, butter and the Parmesan cheese.
- Press into greased 9" pie plate and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Re-set oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Spread tomatoes in a layer on the crumb crust.
- Sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper, basil, garlic powder, and green onions.
- Mix eggs with half and half and the grated Swiss cheese, then pour over tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the additional Parmesan (and crumbled bacon, if using) over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serves 6.
Very delicious! I served this as dinner for two, along with a green salad. The only changes I made were as follow: 1. Since I had no green onions, I substituted lots of chopped chives. 2. I used lowfat milk instead of half-and-half. Fantastic recipe!
This was a great lunch meal! I had it with the bacon, because I indulged myself. :) A really nice recipe. UPDATE: Hubby made this for lunch today, and used rye bread crumbs - an excellent addition that makes the recipe even better!
This was good, but seemed to lack something. I didn't like the crumb crust at all...would be better with a biscuit-type crust or a pie crust. I think that would've helped.