Recipe by piranhabriana
This came from a Modern Living magazine. It looks and tastes heavenly! Great for a housewarming party or a brunch!
Top Review by Deb's Recipes
I made this recipe for Pick-a-Chef 2005. Fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden mingled perfectly with the cheesy alfredo-like topping of this tart. Divinely-scented while baking, the tart also tasted quite heavenly. I did not use a tart pan but rolled the pastry into a flat 13" circle, topped it, baked on a pizza stone, then carefully cut it into about 24 squares. The squares reheated well after advance preparation. This tart makes an attractive presentation. I'll make it next time I want to impress party guests!
- 1 9 inch pie shell (Pillsbury is best)
- 6 medium fresh tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake pie crust about 15 minutes.
- Saute onion and mushrooms in one tablespoon of butter until onions are translucent, set aside.
- Mix together cheeses, mayonnaisse, garlic, and basil; then, stir in cooled tomatoes and onions.
- Place tomatoes into pie crust, with the skin down.
- Spoon cheese mixture evenly over tomatoes.
- Sprinkle parsley and pepper on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.