1/1 Photo of Easy Tom Kha Thai Coconut Soup
I know, I know, it's not authentic and it doesn't contain all the ingredients in the Thai name. But for poor, deprived college-town students like me, this is pretty close to what you can find at Thai restaurants. I'll eat it for dinner with some Thai tea (though I'm usually too lazy to make it), though it's not traditionally meant to be served as its own course. You could substitute shrimp or tofu for the chicken, just skip the velveting preparation. I velvet the chicken so it doesn't get tough in the soup, but you don't have to. If you don't, just sauté the chicken in some oil until it turns white and then cook it until it's done in the simmering soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 3 stalks green onions
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, minced (fresh or bottled. You can even use powdered in a pinch)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1To velvet chicken: Lightly beat egg white and combine with cornstarch. Toss the chicken strips or cubes in this mixture, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2Heat the water and oil in a pot or a wok, until it's hot enough that a piece of chicken floats to the top when you put it inches Put the chicken in, in shifts if you have to to keep it from crowding, and cook until it's white, about 30 seconds. If you're not using the chicken straight away, refrigerate it until you do.
- 3To prepare the soup: Heat coconut milk and chicken broth to boiling.
- 4Turn down heat, add fish sauce, chili sauce, ginger, lemon and lime juices, and lemon zest, chicken, and mushrooms and simmer for a couple minutes.
- 5Add chopped green onions and chopped cilantro and serve.
Browse Our Top Coconut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Tom Kha Thai Coconut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 914.8
- Calories from Fat 402
- Total Fat 44.7 g
- Saturated Fat 34.1 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 1860.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 109.0 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili sauce
lemons, zest of