Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is modified from the cookbook Vegan Planet. It has been made more picky people friendly (for people like me who dislike most vegetables), and is wonderful for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Be warned though, this is an odd looking recipe.
- 1 (16 ounce) container firm tofu, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped soy sausage
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- Grease a small skillet with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and add to the oil the chopped soy sausage, onion and garlic.
- Cook until browned.
- In a second skillet, add the remainder of the oil and add the crumbled tofu, salt, pepper, and spices.
- Cook for a couple of minutes and then add the contents of the first skillet to the second.
- Cook together for about 5 minutes.
- Note: If it seems too dry, you can add a little bit of soy sauce to moisten.
- Serve hot.
- Note: If you are more vegetable loving then i, you could add other vegetables to the above recipe (mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, etc.).
This recipe honestly doesn't make very much sense- there was no time for the tofu to marinate with the spices so instead of getting a delicious blend of spices + tofu I just got a taste of really plain tofu with way to many spices. I would look for another recipe.
I substituted the tofu with cottage cheese and the soy sausage with drained tinned mushrooms. To give it a nice tangy taste, I sprinkled some fresh lemon juice over this before serving. It was pretty good. Thanks for posting!