Recipe by vigilant20
Vegan fish sandwich analogue. I originally saw it published by user submission at vegweb.
Top Review by spiritussancto
turned out pretty good! i didn't expect the breading to stick properly but it worked fine. i found them a little bland so i dipped my tofu in soy sauce before breading. added just a touch more flavor that was really nice. very little tofu after taste, especially with tartar sauce. i just ate them on a plate for less carbs. not at all greasy tasting, would be easy to vary by adding more spices to the breading or marinading the tofu in spices/sauces/broth. oh ya, and i used half margarine half olive oil at about med temp. will certainly make again. thanks!
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- lemon pepper
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (vegan substitute)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pickles, diced (or relish)
- 2 teaspoons onions, diced
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For best results, press tofu and freeze overnight. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, bread crumbs, and your seasoning thoroughly in a bowl for breading.
- Coat tofu slices in breading, and fry in 1/4 inch of oil in a pan for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Make tartar sauce by mixing mayo, pickle, and onion well in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bun.