Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Vegan fish sandwich analogue. I originally saw it published by user submission at vegweb.
Make and share this Easy Tofu Fillet Sandwich With Tartar Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- lemon pepper
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (vegan substitute)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pickles, diced (or relish)
- 2 teaspoons onions, diced
- salt and pepper
- For best results, press tofu and freeze overnight. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, bread crumbs, and your seasoning thoroughly in a bowl for breading.
- Coat tofu slices in breading, and fry in 1/4 inch of oil in a pan for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Make tartar sauce by mixing mayo, pickle, and onion well in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bun.
turned out pretty good! i didn't expect the breading to stick properly but it worked fine. i found them a little bland so i dipped my tofu in soy sauce before breading. added just a touch more flavor that was really nice. very little tofu after taste, especially with tartar sauce. i just ate them on a plate for less carbs. not at all greasy tasting, would be easy to vary by adding more spices to the breading or marinading the tofu in spices/sauces/broth. oh ya, and i used half margarine half olive oil at about med temp. will certainly make again. thanks!
I am always trying recipes on here, but only just now joined because I HAD to review this recipe! After being a most of the time vegan (and sometimes just a vegetarian) for 2 years, I decided that I felt like having something similar to seafood. Wow, oh wow! This hit the spot. I whipped up my own version of tartar sauce, but the tofu fillet is spot on. It was really very similar to the tons of fried fish I've eaten with my southern family over the years. I cut some pieces thicker and some thinner for a variety of textures. I put a few pieces of "fish" on a white roll and drizzled it with a lot of tartar sauce. Now if I can only stop nibbling on the leftover pieces so I can share in the food joy with my husband!
This was a great change for a sandwich! I loved the idea. My coating did not stick onto the tofu as well as I hoped, but still turned out. These are great as is with the tartar sauce on on a bun.