1/1 Photo of Easy to Make Flour Tortillas
I've always been intimidated about making tortillas. Finally I found a method that for me is easy and that doesn't make me run the other way with equipment I can't pronounce much less spell. The only specialized equipment that this recipe has is a food processor. This was modified from Rick Bayless' recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Dissolve salt into water and put aside.
- 22. Put measured all purpose flour into your food processor. Add 5 TBSP of the lard. Process until all the lard is incorporated into the flour.
- 33. While food processor is going, slowly add all the water. A dough should form that pulls away from the side of processor.
- 44. Scoop the dough onto a clean dry lightly dusted with flour work space. Knead a few times.
- 54. Divide the dough into 12 portions and form them into the size of a golf ball. Place on a plate in a single layer and cover with plastic wrap. Let them rest for 30 minutes.
- 65. Heat an ungreased 9" cast iron skillet to medium or medium high.
- 76. On your lightly floured station take a dough ball. Press flat with the palm of your hand. It should be round. Now use a rolling pin and roll forward away from you and then back toward you, turn the dough a sixth of a turn and repeat. Keep doing this until it is about 7 inch in diameter. Don't worry if it isn't in a perfect circle. You might need to add a bit of bench flour as you do this so that it doesn't start to stick.
- 87. Lay the tortilla in your hot pan. Cook for about 30-45 secs and then turn over and cook for another 30-45 secs. It will get puffed up. Do not worry and don't flatten. Make sure you don't overcook them as they will become crispy.
- 98. Remove them from the pan and wrap them in a cloth napkin or dish towel. Stack them on top of each other in the dishtowel. This will help them stay soft.
- 10Side Note: I would roll out 2 and then cook one in the pan and then roll out the next and continued this way until all 12 were done.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy to Make Flour Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (590 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1828.5
- Calories from Fat 606
- Total Fat 67.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.6 g
- Cholesterol 60.8 mg
- Sodium 1754.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 262.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 35.5 g