Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I also like to add in a couple tablespoons of fresh garlic in with the onion as well as the addition of garlic salt, and also some cayenne pepper for heat, prep time includes browning the rice.
Top Review by angelalberta_22
My family and guests raved about this dish. I fried the onion and green pepper. Poured it into my rice cooker along with a can of chili seasoned tomatoes and the reamining ingredients. Turned it on and voila. TY Kittencal for a lovely recipe.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 bell pepper (seeded and quartered)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (can use more or if desired you can use The Best Creole/Cajun Seasoning Mix)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saute pan, brown the rice in oil over low to medium heat, stirring constantly (watch closely as it burns easily).
- When the rice is brown, add the onion, bell pepper, chili powder and garlic salt.
- Turn the heat to high, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, and then chicken stock; bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stand for 15-20 minutes.