Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy recipe with canned roasted red peppers. Perfect as an entrée for 4 or a dinner for 2 served with a baguette. Harissa is chili paste that makes it very tasty; add your favourite.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 9.85 ml chopped fresh basil
- 1656.13 ml chicken broth
- 354.88 ml chopped roasted red bell peppers preserved in water, drained
- 1 potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 1.23 ml harissa
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml sour cream
- .Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- .Add the broth, bell peppers, potato and sugar. Bring to a simmer over high heat.
- .Decrease the heat to medium-low. Partially cover and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Cool the soup slightly.
- .Using an immersion hand blender, puree the soup in the pot until it is smooth. Season the soup, to taste, with salt and pepper and Hasissa.
- .Ladle the soup into bowls. Drizzle with sour cream. Sprinkle with a few croutons for a change.