Recipe by iloverabbits
This recipe is from savvyvegetarian.com I modified the instructions to make it faster.
Top Review by *Parsley*
I made this according to the crock pot instructions. I admit that when I first put it together, I didn't have high hopes from the way it looked..... but I was pleasantly surprised in the end. I added some chopped onion, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. I was happy with how it turned out, but I would have liked some more black beans in there. I think next time I make this I will double the black beans and maybe also add some diced tomatoes (or just more spag. sauce) when the sauce is added in the end. Thanx for sharing!
- 8 ounces dry lentils
- 8 ounces canned black beans
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄4 head green cabbage, chopped in 1 - 2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon leaf thyme
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium spaghetti sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute chopped veggies and garlic in the olive oil with a thyme leaf in a soup pot.
- Add 4 cups of cold water, bay leaf, lentils, black beans and unsalted veggie cube to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 25 minutes on medium/high. In a crockpot, cook 5 hours on low.
- Add spaghetti sauce, salt and pepper to taste,and heat on medium for 5 more minutes.
- Add minced parsley and serve.
- Slow Cooker or Crockpot Directions: Throw everything in the crockpot, set the heat on low, cover and cook for 6 - 8 hours. Add the spaghetti sauce, salt & pepper and parsley at the end.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.