Recipe by Amber Matlock
This is a variation of another soup recipe that I tried and loved. I added some things and took out others to make this recipe an instant hit. This also freezes well, so you can save some for a rainy day!
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Made for My 3 Chefs. We loved this soup - it's definitely a keeper. I didn't use quite as much water as the recipe called for as it seemed like a bit too much. Anyway, it was very good and low fat - what more could you want! Thanks for posting this Amber.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 squash or 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- southwest seasoning (to taste)
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- crushed tortilla chips
- fresh lime juice (1/2 lime per serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all soup ingredients in a large pot.
- Turn to high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Top individual servings with all or some of the suggested toppings (I think the lime juice is what really makes this soup sing!).