Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A co-worker recently gave me this recipe. You can't get much easier than this!!! You can use fresh or frozen tamales. I'm sure you could easily substitute your favorite cheeses and add kernel corn, pinto beans, rotel tomatoes, etc. Simply great with cornbread or salsa biscuits. Can easily be expanded. Enjoy!
- 1 dozen tamale
- 1 (6 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (10 ounce) can soup, Swanson Chicken a la King or 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 8 ounces Velveeta Mexican cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded for top
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Shuck husks off tamales and place, single layer, in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix all other ingredients (except for shredded cheddar cheese for top) until well blended. It will have a very soupy consistency.
- Pour over tamales and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling hot.
- Sprinkle w/ cheddar cheese and bake a few more minutes until melted.
- Serve hot!
Really liked this simple comforting meal. Used canned tamales, cream of chicken soup, and corn kernels instead of green chiles. Very tasty alone and as a dip with corn chips. Mmmmm....
This is really very good, and so easy! I used frozen, locally made tamales and followed the recipe exactly, except for adding more cheese on top. We also sprinkled each serving with chopped raw onion. We liked it much better than the usual tamale casseroles made with chili. Will definitely make this again!
Note: Swanson's Chicken a la King is found with the canned meats, not soups.
Absolutely fantastic! I used homemade tamales and added 1 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, a 10 oz. can of Rotel (drained) and a 2.25 oz. can of (drained) sliced black olives to Step 3. I wasn't able to find the Velveeta Mexican cheese or the Swanson's Chicken ala King soup. I subbed in a shredded Mexican Four Cheese Blend and a can of Cream of Chicken soup. The end result was delicious! Thanks for sharing this great recipe, Mrs.Jack! **Made for Fall PAC 2008**