Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My son wanted some of my homemade chicken pot pie, I do not like chicken pot pie, so I decided to try something different. It was AWESOME! and my husband and son ate almost all of it! A MUST TRY.. many variety and optional add-ins and substitutions are included (**STEPS 12- 21 ARE OPTIONAL! NOT A MUST!) as we have used and fixed this many ways. Hope you enjoy. Please share your thoughts. PACK & TAKE WITH YOU, GREAT FINGER FOODS FOR KIDS, sac lunches, OR great OFFICE PARTY food, pot luck dinner, church meals, even HOLIDAYS!!
- 2 cups chicken
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (or 2 small or 1 cream of chicken AND 1 cream of mushroom soup)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, your choice of vegetables see varieties listed in directions
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (or 4 oz.)
- I used a mini loaf pan and mini muffin pan for these.
- Mix all filling ingredients together in a bowl or if you would like to have some to pour over a loaf or three, mix in a medium pan.
- Chicken can be diced, chopped, or just pulled off the bone, but make sure the chicken is boneless.
- Chicken broth can be canned or the juices from the baked chicken, which I prefer.
- VEGGIES! you can use carrots, peas, green beans, corn, peppers, etc.
- Use a spoon to dip chicken filling into pans or whatever baking dish you are using.
- Mix the crust (flour, milk, melted butter, and seasonings of your choice) ingredients.
- Pour mixture over chicken. I do not stir it. The mixture down in the juice will make the dumplings and rise up to make the crust.
- Bake mini-muffins about 30 minutes at 350 until the middle of the loaves start to bubble. 45 minutes for Loaves, and 1 hour for 9x13 baking pan. If you make the mini muffins keep an eye on them as they cook quicker. When I bake the 9x13 dish it usually takes about an hour. just check for golden brown tops, they're done.
- Take out of the oven and let them set for about 5 minutes. PACK & TAKE WITH YOU, GREAT FINGER FOODS FOR KIDS, sac lunches, OR great OFFICE PARTY food, pot luck dinner, church meals, even HOLIDAYS!
- ALL FOLLOWING STEPS: ARE OPTIONAL, IDEAS, TRIED AND TRUE variations. To help clear up any questions you may have.
- I have seen recipes with the veg-all cans used; I just do not like the flavors.
- I use 1 or 2 cans of the baby carrots; they are in a silver can, not sure of the brand, it's the only kind my husband and daughter will eat. *- as much as you want and the types you like. We use canned green beans, freezer corn (which I saute with the onions). I use red potatoes, silver canned baby carrots. Sounds like a lot but it's not. It's very easy to make and never lasts very long with my family around.
- I have some pictures posted that have the remaining chicken filling that would not fit in the pans, cooking on the stove. I did not want it to go to waste and thought I would fix it to go over the top of the loaves/muffins as a gravy. Sadly, I didn't fix enough, for they wanted more!
- *You can substitute canned chicken (I have used 2 (12.5 oz) cans before and it was still delish!
- I do NOT boil any type of chicken (thanks to my daughter). I bake the chicken. NO boiling of chicken in of chicken in our home. I bake it with about 1 Tablespoon butter, lemon pepper, garlic salt, and about 1 teaspoon of honey; cover with foil paper; bake until tender.
- Whichever seasonings you would like can be added to the crust (flour mixture) or the chicken. I do not add any to the filling as the filling has more than enough.
- I almost mince the onions because the kids do not like them but we do :) so I saute mine and my husband's, but that is optional.
- I put 1/2 with diced jalapenos, a little tip for the spice lovers.
- (If you do not have cream of chicken soup you can use 14 oz of milk. I have used 1-15 oz can cream of chicken and 1-15 oz can cream of mushroom-BOTH delicious.
- If you find other ideas for add-ins, please leave a comment to help other food lovers enjoy this great recipe in other ways.
The concept was interesting to me so thought I'd make up a half batch. Mine didn't turn out muffin-like and definitely not a grab and go meal. Not sure if I did something wrong? They were tasty, just didn't quite make what was advertised. Not leaving stars in case I did something wrong...I did make in a regular muffin tin. May try again at another time b/c they were tasty.