Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe I created by taking multiple recipes and using what I thought was the most simple and flavorful ingredients to create a quick and tasteful soup.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 small onion
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (1 ounce) packet ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can chilies (diced jalepenos for a spicier flavor)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Brown hamburger and onion in large pot.
- Add the seasoning packets with one cup of water to browned meat and onion.
- Then add the remainder of the ingredients into the pot and cook on medium heat for about 20 to 30 minutes. When the hunger gets too much, turn down to low and serve.
- Add the diced avocado, shredded cheese and sour cream to the top of the soup for added taste.
Good solid start for a soup. Just to be clear, I did NOT make this soup exactly as directed so my star rating is based on what I "perceived" the recipe to be (I know that is not fair but I am always put off by someone giving a recipe 5 stars when they have made so many changes). After making a few changes I would give this 4 stars. First, I drained and rinsed all the beans. Because I didn't have the liquid from the beans I added about 2 cups of beef broth and omitted the water. I also added about a tablespoon of tomatoe paste, teaspoon of salt, and some fresh ground pepper. Still very easy and I appreciate the original recipe for giving me a starting point.
The neighbors on each side of me and I all had rummage sales this week so I thought what better way to get to know your neighbors than bringing them a nice hot bowl of taco soup at lunch time. Soon after we ate one of the neighbors came up with a banana cream pie; we didn't get to eat together but we all had a nice enjoyable meal. I used a can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies plus I don't like beans so I didn't use any. To make it stretch a little further I added some Mr. & Mrs. T Bloody Mary Mix. Even without the beans everyone enjoyed the soup. Thanks for posting.
This was an excellent soup, full of flavor. I used Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies since they are spicier than regular canned tomatoes. I did not drain the black beans but I did drain the kidney beans before adding them to the soup. I also omitted the pinto beans because I don't care for them. I made the mistake of using Hot & Spicy taco seasoning instead of regular. The flavor was still good but my mouth was on fire for 30 minutes after eating the soup. If you love to set your mouth on fire I recommend using the hot & spicy seasoning mix in this soup. I topped with sour cream & cheese to help mellow out some of the fire. :P Made for PAC 2008