Recipe by Castrily
I saw a really simple version of this online about 2 years ago but it didn't have enough zing or flavor for us. I experimented until I came up with this flavorful recipe. My husband and grown children and grandchildren love it and I serve it often now.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large red onion, chopped reserve 1/4 for later use
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeded (to your own heat level)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup Pace Picante Sauce
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 2 -3 drops hot sauce (optional) or 2 -3 dashes ground red pepper, if more heat is desired (optional)
- 1 (2 cup) packageof shredded mexican cheese, reserve 1/4 package for later use
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed tortilla chips, preferably jalapeno peppers flavored
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground meat; add jalapeno peppers, onions and garlic and sauté until transparent.
- Mix remaining ingredients together and place in 2-½ qt greased casserole dish.
- Cover and bake @ 350º for 45 minutes until bubbly, remove from oven, remove lid, add extra grated cheese, continue baking until melted.
- Serve with reserved red onion, grated cheese, tortillas or tortilla chips.
- I sometimes chop plum tomatoes to add to the top also.
- Excellent, quick, delicious meal!