Recipe by CookingMonster
Made this the other night for supper and my family just loved it. It is just as much muss and fuss as making tacos, but it is a very good variation.
Top Review by LUVMY2BOYS
I already had a taco casserole recipe that I found on this website but this one intrigued me! I only used 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef, 1/2 pkg taco seasoning mix & 1/2 cup taco sauce. I also ended up only needing 1 1/4 cups crushed tortilla chips; same amount with the cheese-I felt that got the taste across without sacrificing taste. So I used 1 cup chips & 1 cup cheese in the casserole & sprinkled 1/4 cup chips & 1/4 cup cheese on top after baking it for 20 min. Worked out great & tasted wonderful. This will be my new taco casserole! Thank you!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package low-sodium taco seasoning, with 40% less sodium
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (8 ounce) jar taco sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 3⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In medium skillet, cook ground beef and onions over medium high heat until beef is thoroughly cooked. Drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix and water, simmer 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine refried beans and taco sauce.
- In an ungreased 8 inch square baking dish, layer 1/2 the bean mixture, 1/2 the beef mix, 2 cups chips and one cup of the cheese. Top with remaining bean mixture and beef mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Top with remaining tortilla chips and cheese.
- Return to oven, bake an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with lettuce and tomatoes.