Recipe by Cindy1
We love this main dish because it is very flavorful, filling, easy on the budget, AND on the cook! Use whatever steaks are on sale and they always turn out tender. I buy the family pack size, save a couple for one meal and throw the rest in the pot for this comforting meal.
Top Review by ygbif
Cindy I could not remember the name of this reciepe but I looked up everyone so I could tell you that this was just wonderful. I will only use this reciepe for Swiss Steak from now on. Thank you!
- 8 (4 -5 ounce) boneless beef chuck steaks
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon medium ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup flour, for thickening
The following chopped in large chunks or slivers
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions
- 1 1⁄4 cups green peppers
- 2 medium carrots (optional)
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon bay leaf (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, pepper, salt, and garlic powder on a large plate.
- Tenderize steaks thoroughly with mallet or knife.
- Roll each steak in the flour mixture.
- Set steaks aside.
- Mix together the dry onion soup mix, the flour (for thickening), and the water, and set this aside also, allowing the dried onions to soften.
- Melt half of the margarine in a large dutch oven on medium heat.
- Stir the vegetables into the dutch oven and cover.
- Cook about 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Melt the other half of the margarine in a large frying pan on medium to medium-high heat.
- Brown steaks for approximately 2 minutes on each side.
- Turn off burner and set aside.
- Add the stewed tomatoes and the onion soup/flour mixture to the vegetables and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Add bay leaf.
- Turn down to simmer.
- Add the steaks, making sure to mix thoroughly, spooning vegetables over the steaks to cover.
- Cover with a tight lid and very slowly simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until steaks are tender.
- You should be able to cut the steaks with a fork.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.