Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
An easy to make one dish meal that I found in a grocery store cookbook. Add hot rolls and it is dinner! Yum!
- 1 lb boneless round steak, pounded or 1 lb boneless round steak, swissed by machine
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) jarhome-style beef gravy
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- garlic instant mashed potatoes, 1 box prepared as instructed on the box
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut beef into serving size pieces and arrange in 2 quart baking dish.
- Top beef with carrots and onion.
- In a bowl, combine gravy, tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon thyme and pepper; mix well.
- Pour gravy mixture over meat and vegetables.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Make the instant garlic mashed potatoes as instructed on the package, adding 1/4 teaspoon thyme and dried parsley.
- Uncover meat, top with dollops of potatoes (you can pipe the potatoes on top to make it prettier if you want).
- Bake uncovered an additional 20 minutes until potatoes are just light brown.
Lucious swiss steak!! I made this with sirloin steak and browned them before putting them in the oven. Then made homemade mashed potatoes to serve along side the steak. The gravy on the steak is delicious! A very easy dish to make. Had green beans and salad, wonderful meal. Will make again! Thanks Terri F!!!
Really really good. If a novice like me can put this together and have it come out tasting like a meal I spent hours on, then anyone can do it. This is the first recipe I tried. It was very simple, the directions were very easy, and it tasted excellent. Thank you for this.
This is for sure a 5 star. Meat was tender as can be. Gravy tasty. Easy prep and oven time is no worry to check it. Potatoes on top was great..I used garlic flavored potatoes. We ate so much of it I was worried about having some the next day. I just think this is just a great recipe. Thank You