Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, mashed, cooked
- 1 can condensed milk, sweetened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Combine sweet potatoes, milk, egg, salt and spices.
- Mix well.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before cutting.
My family LOVES this pie. We even came up with two variations, substituting the sweet potatoes for either pumpkin or mashed apples. It's great! I also made mini muffin sized pies and they came out great too as bite sized munchies! This is now the only way we go. As a personal preference, we add more spice for extra flavor and use home made whipped cream for on top. With the flavor and simplicity, it can't be beat!
My family loved these pies. I made 4 over the holiday. However, I added 1 tbsp of vanilla and 1/4 cup sugar. My husband ate 1/2 one by himself.
No vanilla? No butter? Wasn't sure what to do about that, but the pie is good.