Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I needed dinner in a hurry and looked to see what ingredients I could throw together. This was perfect for a cool autumn evening.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 200 g bacon
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 100 ml heavy cream
- 100 ml sweet white wine
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Peel and thinly slice sweet potatoes. For microwave cooking: Layer them on a crisping pan, otherwise for conventional oven roasting use a roasting pan. Dot with butter and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- For microwave: cook on grill plus microwave function for 15 minutes, stirring periodically to make sure all pieces are evenly cooked. Traditional oven: cook 20 - 30 minutes at 425 degrees, until cooked through.
- While potatoes are cooking, chop bacon and brown in a heavy saucepan.
- Add onions and sauté until golden, then add the garlic, being careful not to let it burn.
- Add wine and deglaze the pan. Then, add stock, honey and chives. DO NOT ADD SALT! With the bacon and stock, this will probably be salty enough for most tastes.
- When potato slices are cooked and lightly browned, add them to the stock. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes to give flavors time to blend.
- Puree the soup with a hand blender or in food processor, add cream and serve piping hot.