Recipe by Ed&Theresa
We love pickles and beets.
Top Review by 3KillerBs
A remarkable, different snack. The first bite was a little plain. The second bite started to reveal the depth and complexity of the flavor. The end of the sample helping tasted like some more, with a piece of sharp cheddar beside it. :D I tagged it because I enjoy pickled beets, but the quick type are usually made with sweet or bread and butter pickles/pickle juice and come out too sticky-candy-sweet. This is much more restrained in the sweetness and the dill adds depth to the flavor. I boiled the onion slices briefly in the vinegar-sugar mixture so that my DH wouldn't complain about pickled-onion breath. Next time I may increase the onions and cut the sugar a little. I wonder if some green or red pepper would combine well?
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 24 ounces large dill pickles
- 15 ounces sliced beets
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small sauce pan, combine sugar and vinegar.
- Cook on low heat and stir until dissolved.
- Drain pickles and cut in 1/4's.
- Drain beets.
- Chop onion.
- Combine pickles, beets, and onions into a container with a lid.
- Add sugar mixture and cinnamon stick.
- Place lid on container and shake well.
- Put container in fridge for 1 hour. Longer is better.
- Shake well before serving.