Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Since red cabbage is one of my favorite veggies, I have collected many recipes, this is another easy favorite that makes a wonderful side dish to turkey, or beef. I like to add in chopped cooked bacon, but that is optional. The amounts can be doubled to serve more than 4.
- 3 -5 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 -2 apple, peeled, cored and chopped (I use Gala apples for this)
- 1 small red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (can use more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in onion and saute until golden (about 7-8 minutes).
- Add in sliced cabbage, cider vinegar, sugar, celery seeds and black pepper; mix to combine and cook until the cabbage if crisp-tender and the liquid is reduced to a glaze (about 10-12 minutes).
- Season with salt.