Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Since red cabbage is one of my favorite veggies, I have collected many recipes, this is another easy favorite that makes a wonderful side dish to turkey, or beef. I like to add in chopped cooked bacon, but that is optional. The amounts can be doubled to serve more than 4.
- 3 -5 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 -2 apple, peeled, cored and chopped (I use Gala apples for this)
- 1 small red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (can use more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in onion and saute until golden (about 7-8 minutes).
- Add in sliced cabbage, cider vinegar, sugar, celery seeds and black pepper; mix to combine and cook until the cabbage if crisp-tender and the liquid is reduced to a glaze (about 10-12 minutes).
- Season with salt.
Yum! My DH said it would be good on a hotdog and thought it tasted like a really fresh relish. Really yummy! Thanks Kittencal! You are my go to girl for recipes!
This is the Best!! Not too sweet...Not too tart...just right!! This will be my favorite way to do red cabbage. I only put in 2 tbsp oil and skipped the bacon this time. Thanks Kittencal!