Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this on one of those recipe cards at the grocery store. It's a little different than most of the cabbage casserole recipes I've seen posted, so I thought I'd share it. *Note: Be sure to core the cabbage well or it will be tough.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, celery, and green pepper till meat is browned; drain off fat.
- Sprinkle meat mixture with rolled oats, parsley, the 3/4 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and the 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Core cabbage; cut into six wedges.
- Place atop meat.
- In bowl combine tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the dash of pepper; mix well.
- Pour over cabbage and meat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or till cabbage is tender.
- Serve at once.
Easy and simple and the overall flavor of this recipe was good, but my family did not enjoy the cabbage. I followed the steps accordingly, except I chose a Napa cabbage. We like the texture better. I believe it would be more tasty if the cabbage were to be incorporated into the meat mixture. Sorry I can't be more favorable. Made for Easy Does It! event. :)