Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 2 lbs thinly-sliced vegetables
- 1 large onion, peeled,and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a very large bowl, place the vegetables and the sliced onion.
- Toss with salt and cover with cold water.
- Allow to stand for 1 hour, then drain thoroughly but do not rinse.
- In a 3-quart, non-aluminum saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar and spices.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables, tossing to coat.
- Allow to stand for 2 hours.
- Transfer to a non-aluminum container and chill in the refrigerator.
- Store for up to 1 month in brine in the refrigerator.