Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love this recipe - it's so great - even my 8 month old son ate this! I just peeled some of the skin off the zucchini and he loved it all - even the filling! Very yummy. You can use any cheese for the top - I use what I have on hand - you can easily cut this recipe in half - I have - enjoy!
- 1 zucchini
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2-1 lb sausage meat (casing removed)
- 12 ounces tomato sauce or 12 ounces spaghetti sauce
- italian seasoning (to taste)
- dried rosemary, seasoning (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Slice zucchini in half - lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeded centre and discard.
- Scoop out more of the centre of the zucchini and place aside in a bowl.
- Place shells cut side down in a lightly oiled shallow baking dish. Add some water. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F until tender (depending on size 15 min).
- Place onions, garlic and sausage meat in frying pan until cooked.
- Add scooped out centre of zucchini (chopped), sauce, seasonings.
- Simmer about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in bread crumbs.
- Take zucchini - drain water and fill with sausage mix.
- Sprinkle with cheese - broil until cheese melts.
Made this last night and I added a little more garlic and onion (my onions were small) and used the tomato sauce option. Therefore, I used a little more spice and used spicy Italian sausage....loved it. Made for Spring PAC 2014.